2015 May MIT
From Digital Response
Revision as of 16:47, 18 May 2015 by Willow (populating the things.)
Date: May 9+10
Location: MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, MA
Registration Link: http://humtechinteract.eventbrite.com
Universe of Topics
- What's the good, bad, and ugly of data collection
- how do we handle privacy/security in high-vulnerability times?
- Data from community should be usable by the community
- How to make it easier for different tech to work together
- How technology can improve coordination after a disaster
- how to get people excited about tech for manageing data
- how do we share canvasing data and keep it secure?
- how do we bake consent culture into disaster and humanitarian efforts?
- How can communities hold responders/NGOs/etc accountable?
- When is a good time to leave the disaster area as a humanitarian?
- How to better support local info responders? (eg Kathmandu Living Lab)?
- scale systems while keeping them personal
- How might we learn from local populations in a state of emergency
- How to make info resilience (lists of NGOs, shelters, existing communities) normal everywhere?
- How can we be proactive about disasters rather than reactive
- Lessons learned from response to Ebola Crisis in West Africa
- Best methods to teach people
- how to encourage people to get training before a disaster instead of volunteering after a disaster
- Breaking down resilience and how that term is carried out
- How to keep attention for long-term needs
- Looking at topics through the lends of urban planning and city infrastructure
Local capacity and volunteers
- For-profit social good vs nonprofit/humanitarian
- how formal and informal groups can work together
I* s it possible to support frontline communities without being disruptive?
- ways to teach/trigger curiosity
- Better/more efficient tech for first responders (EMT/Police/Fire)
- How to improve connecti ity after a disaster
- How do we get info to affected people in low bandwidth environments (eg SMS)?
- How to hack-proof wireless tech
- Systematic support for targets of cyberstalking?
- how to reduce cost of forensic analysis of hacked IT equipment
- Best way to display information and data
- What is the role of simulation and tech like Oculus Rift?
- What is the user journey of an emergency (1 day, 1 week, 1 month in)
- Philanthropy isn't sustainable
- We have all the tech. We need to solve the problems at hand
- Private companies should be responsible for assisting in emergencies
- We already have enough tech solutions
- People are not comfortable enough with technology to use it in stressful/emergency situations
- Data and Ethics:
- Occupy Sandy:
- Data Standards:
- Template for HotWash:
- Public Labs and Consent:
- Online Safety:
Things to Peruse Further
- Games to prepare for disaster:
- Guide for interacting with frontline communities: (find or create)
- Local organization list and reviews:
- Local organization identification at the global level methodology:
- Template/questionaire for After Action report to be made during deployment:
- Who What Where for virtual and coordinating responders: